Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Creative Nonfiction Definition

After I read "Out There" by Jo Ann Beard, it was clear to me what creative nonfiction means. Jo Ann Beard uses various descriptive details in her story, and it is evident her story is not made up. Creative nonfiction means to write a story pertaining to one's life, an event that is real and not made up and explaining it in a descriptive manner with several details. For example, "Out There" has many descriptive parts including, "I can't stop pressing hard on the gas pedal. I'm at 85 now, and my leg is shaking uncontrollably, coffee is spilled all over the passenger seat, the atlas is wet, Neil Young is still howling on the tape deck. By force of will, I slow down to 65, eject the tape, and wait for the truck to overtake me" (40). I chose this excerpt because I can visualize it taking place. Beard uses descriptive details so it is easy for the reader to envision the scenario. While writing creative nonfiction, it is important to use a variety of expression so it is easy for the reader to see the scenario rather than to just read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment