Sunday, October 4, 2009

Essay #1 - First Draft

Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring. Life teaches us to fight for what we want and to never let an opportunity pass us by. In the heat of the moment, we do not realize how much something (or someone) is worth until it is too late, the opportunity is gone and all you have ever wanted falls out of your hands. Before this can happen, you then have two options: to realize what you want and fight for it, or to let it pass and believe it is not worth it.
I think back to the summer of 2009 everyday because there is not one day where something does not remind me of it. It was one of the best summers I have ever had, and although some parts were difficult, I would not change anything that happened. I know a lot now that I did not know when I was struggling to find out answers, and I am glad I pursued exactly what I wanted. If I had thought nothing of this opportunity, I would not be as happy a person as I am today.
It was June 29, 2009 also known as the day before camp commenced. I have always loved working as a camp counselor, but for some reason this year my heart was not in it, and I was dreading the long summer ahead. I reacquainted with my old coworkers and met new ones thinking to myself, “If these newbie’s are anything like some of the workers last year, I don’t want any part of being their friend.” I was not optimistic about this job, but tried to make the best of it and looking back on it, I am glad I changed my attitude otherwise I would not have Dan, my amazing boyfriend I am so lucky to have. It took a lot of confidence, perseverance and thought to pursue this relationship, and it would not be as great if we did not go through a number of adversities to get to the point we are at.
Since it was the summer, it meant it was time to have a summer fling, but not this year; not for me, at least. I was not looking for a “fling” or a relationship, I wanted to have fun with my friends and focus on myself, which was something I was not used to. For a majority of the summer, I enjoyed having time to myself and did not have to worry about drama or men. It was an exhilarating feeling considering all that I have been through in the past and the bad luck I could never get rid of. I was content with the life I was living and did not need a man to depend on my happiness until something changed my mind.
I never knew Dan until I worked with him this summer. We were both third grade counselors, but did not interact much until our coworker Ashley decided to change that. I saw Dan playing kickball with the campers and the first thing I ever said to Ashley and Caitlin about him was, “I think Dan is a great guy, and he could make anyone happy. I don’t know him well, but I have a good feeling about him. I also think he’s really cute.” I did not intend on pursuing a relationship with him, the thought just came into my head and I felt the need to express it to my coworkers. After I said that Ashley responded, “You should go for him. I know him pretty well, and he is a good person. You two would be great together.” I did not know how to answer that because half of me wanted to, but the other half hesitated. Ashley can read me like a book so she saw my hesitation and said, “Don’t worry Cara, I got this covered.”
Ashley made the initiation and began to talk to Dan about me (or more like for me). I was a little afraid because Ashley exaggerates a lot, so her talk with Dan would turn out horribly or great. From what she told me, it turned out to be a great conversation. About a week went by until Dan approached me about hanging out. Even though I wanted to go out with him, I was still a bit reluctant because I had to weigh the pros and cons of getting involved with another man. I thought to myself, “Don’t be stupid. This is what you want, go for it.” If I knew then what I know now, I would not have held back so much and I would have let my true self come out. The night before we went out on our first date was a Tuesday, and that whole night I could not sleep because I kept thinking about the good and the bad that could come of this. Finally, I shut my mind off and did not give it another thought until the next night. Our date night had arrived and I was more nervous than ever. Everything had to be perfect, and since I am a perfectionist, it took me hours to find the perfect outfit and to get ready. We went out and had a great time. In fact, it went so well that we went out again a few nights later.
All good things must come to an end of course, and it was nearing the last days of camp. Dan and I had a lot to figure out because we did not know where to take things from here. He was just starting school at Penn State, and since we did not know that much about each other, it would not be ideal to start a relationship at that point. In addition to him leaving for school, I was leaving for Italy for two weeks two days after camp would end, which meant when I came back from Italy, he would have left for school. We both did not know what to do or how to confront each other about it. Dan and I entered the last week of camp on an emotional rollercoaster.
“He’s going to Penn State!” I kept saying to Caitlin and Ashley. “How is this ever going to work? What if he finds someone else? What if he stops liking me, or forgets about me when I go to Italy? I’m so worried because I like him too much.” Caitlin calmed me down every time I had a breakdown about this topic. If Dan and I started a relationship, it would definitely be hard because of the long distance, not to mention it was horrible timing since camp was ending and I was leaving the country for a while. All we knew was that we had to talk about this and put everything on the table. I knew I had to show my cards and tell him how I feel otherwise I know I would regret it if I did not. I did not know how he felt about me, I was unclear if he felt the same way or if he liked me as much as I liked him. If I knew then what I know now, I had no reason to worry. The whole last week of camp was difficult for both of us, but the talk had to happen. It was just a matter of the time and place.
It was the last day of camp, finally. Everyone was happy and relieved, except for me. After all those weeks of agony and frustration of not wanting to work at camp, I was upset it was ending. I still had not talked to Dan, and the end of the day was approaching. Time was running out, so as we got on the bus to go to the bowling alley, our last trip of camp, we decided to talk about what our futures held. He asked me what I wanted and what we should do about us. I kept telling him, “It’s ultimately your decision. You are the one starting college and going to school four hours away.” Dan had not a clue what to do or what to say to make things easier. We left things open ended until we got to the bowling alley.
The waterworks overwhelmed me that day. Every time I looked at Dan, I would tear up; I could not hold it together. He finally grabbed me and said, “I need to talk to you.” We went to the corner away from the campers and counselors to settle what we needed to. It was one of the hardest conversations I had ever had to have with someone. I knew I had to tell Dan how I felt, it was just a matter of getting the words out. He told me he did not want a girlfriend going into college, but he did not want whatever we had between us to end. I told him I wanted to be with him, but did not want to hold him back or tie him down when he was in college. We were not in a relationship, but we decided not to end things and to see how the first few weeks of school played out.
The following night I got together with my camp coworkers, including Dan and when we were alone I confessed everything that was bothering me. It was another hard conversation to have with him, but if I did not express my concerns, I would have not felt confident enough to leave for Italy. He told me everything would okay and nothing would happen when I was away. It was an amazing night, and the next day I left for Italy. The two weeks I was in Italy were the hardest two weeks of my life. I barely enjoyed my vacation because all I kept thinking about was Dan. I was worried that he found someone else, or he turned out to be a different person than what I thought. We were not able to call or text each other because I did not have cell phone service out of the country. I kept reading the texts he sent me the day I left to get me through each day.
When I came home, Dan was ecstatic to talk to me and I was even more rapturous to talk to him. Nothing had changed and I was worrying each day for no reason. If I knew in Italy, what I found out when I came home, I would have felt so much better being away from him. It was so difficult each day waking up when I was gone and not being able to say even a word to Dan. Even though there was a lot of relief when I arrived home, Dan was still four hours away in another state and would be there for a long time.
It is difficult not being able to see Dan for a while, however being able to talk to him whenever I want makes things between us slightly easier. We talk for hours every night, and there is never a dull moment between us. I have to charge my cell phone each night because I use it so much from talking to him. Many people believe distance relationships never work and are too difficult to maintain, but Dan and I are handling it great. We are in a healthy relationship and both of us could not be any happier than we are now. We miss each other a great deal, but it is not unbearable and we see each other every few weeks. If Dan and I did not go through all of these obstacles and difficulties to get where we are now, we would not be as strong and crazy about each other.

1 comment:

  1. Your essay is a little bit vague- as I read it, I was under the impression that you and Dan weren't "officially" together but then later your say your handling the long distant relationship great. Do you mean relationship, or a "relationship"?

    Anyway, I think there are some good ideas in here, but I think it would be better if you would try and pull out some general truth about relationships in your appraisal of your own. What have you learned from this about the nature of men, women, and the things that happen between them? Personally, I've found that people who are "meant" together seem to come back to each other, even if they go away, take breaks, break-up and see other people, etc.

    ReplyDelete